Good Afternoon, All:
Please note the following court interpreting-related training, job, and professional development resources that may be of interest:
Continuing Interpreter Education
- The Seventeenth Judicial Circuit of Florida will host the course, Motions in Criminal Trial Court From Start to Finish. This course has been approved by the Court Interpreter Certification and Regulation Program for 4.5 Continuing Interpreter Education (CIE) credits and assigned course approval number CEAA # 14-0087. For additional details and to register, please see below information and [click here for] registration form.
Date/Time: Friday, October 3, 2014 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Location: Broward County Central Courthouse, 201 SE 6th Street, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301, Courtroom 4750 (North Wing)
Registration Deadline: September 17, 2014
Payment: Free for all participants. State certified interpreters will receive priority registration but others will be accepted thereafter on a first-registered basis.
Please access the respective webpages for information relating to employment in a court interpreter position in the following judicial circuits:
- Eleventh Judicial Circuit (Miami-Dade County): http://flcourts.org/administration-funding/employment/3210-CourtOInterpreter.stml
- Fifteenth Judicial Circuit (Palm Beach County): http://15thcircuit.co.palm-beach.fl.us/documents/10179/19460/Certified%20Creole%20Court%20Interpreter.pdf; and http://15thcircuit.co.palm-beach.fl.us/documents/10179/19460/Certified%20Spanish%20Court%20Interpreter.pdf
Oral Performance Exam Resources/Practice Exercises/Glossaries
- The Consortium for Language Access in the Courts has developed a Practice Examination Kit in English for interpreters in languages other than Spanish that are preparing to take the Consortium Oral Performance Examination. The Practice Examination Kit in Spanish is available for purchase as well. Both practice kits may be ordered online at http://www.ncsc.org/Education-and-Careers/State-Interpreter-Certification/Self-Assessment-Tools.aspx.
- The New Jersey Judiciary has made online simultaneous practice exercises available for interpreters. Please see following link: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/interpreters/resources.htm (Scroll down to the heading entitled, Resources for All Interpreters).
Note: In addition to downloading the simultaneous practice exercises and accompanying manual, there are a number of additional resources which may be accessed from this site─including language-specific legal glossaries in more than 10 languages.
Please feel free to disseminate this announcement as you deem appropriate. Have a great weekend!
Senior Court Operations Consultant
Court Interpreter Certification and Regulation Program
Office of the State Courts Administrator | 500 S. Duval Street | Tallahassee, FL 32399
850.922.5107 | F. 850.414.1342